WOAI Local News Sponsored by Five Star Cleaners

 

Explosion Sparks Fire in South Side Home

Explosion Sparks Fire in South Side Home

A woman on the city's southwest side was hurt overnight when a small explosion set her house on fire, 1200 WOAI news reports.

 

It happened in the 2400 block of West Gerald. Battalion Fire Chief Jacob Mendiola told 1200 WOAI news the woman woke up and lit a cigarette, and all of a sudden, her home was full of flames.

 

"When we interviewed the occupant, she told us she went the bathroom, lit a cigarette, and had a small explosion," Mendiola said.

 

The woman suffered burns to her hands and face, and officials said her injuries are not life threatening.

 

"We think that maybe a pilot light went out, and a spark from the cigarette ignited the gas," Mendiola said.

 

The home was completely destroyed and damage is estimated at $65,000.

 

 

More Articles